Thursday, November 10, 2011

CMA Roundup

by Cousin Carrie

I don't mean to say I told you so, but back in September I told you to keep an eye out for The Band Perry. I had a feeling these guys had some big days ahead. Last night's CMA Awards proved me right! The Band Perry hauled in three awards for song of the year, single of the year, and best new artist. In accepting her award for song of the year, lead singer Kimberly Perry said: "I truly believe that 'If I Die Young' would have been written with or without me. It just always felt like a song that was meant to be here. But I'll tell you this, I was so excited to have the pen and paper in hand when it was ready to come to earth." I'm glad she was there to receive both the song and the award. As I said before, I have a feeling we'll be hearing more from Kimberly and her brothers!
As for the rest of the CMA's, here's a few personal highlights:
Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood cohosting - These two had great comic timing. Like Ricky and Lucy, they had me laughing throughout the show.
Brad's subtle put down of egomaniac Kayne West in the show's first minutes.
The crowd's standing ovation for Hank Williams Jr. (and his wilingness to play along with a joke at his own expense.)
Sarah Evans' beautiful performance of "A Little Bit Stronger;" complete with acrobats suspended on billowing red ribbons.
Taylor Swift toning it down a notch with an intimate solo performance
Thompson Square (another band we featured here on this blog) getting their first major tv exposure.
Miss Piggy's cameo and patented karate chop (or is that pork chop?)
Scotty McCreery's larger than life voice on "Walk In The Country" (Although I could have done without the contrived radio award segment shoehorned into the middle of his song.)
The heartfelt tribute to Glen Campbell
And of course, Reba. She didn't do much, and she only appeared at the end of the show, but she's still Reba, and that's enough!
(ALSO, there was a non-award highlight as Dolly Parton's new movie was advertised for the first time. I can't wait!)
I hope ya'll enjoyed the show. For those who missed it, you can check out video highlights here.

No comments:

Post a Comment