Tuesday, July 22, 2014

EP Review: You Used To Live Here by Kelley Mickwee





Kelley Michwee is stepping out from her band, The Trishas, with her first solo EP release, “You Used To Live Here.” And that’s a bold move, because the Trishas first album, “High, Wide and Handsome,” was a masterpiece of Americana rhythms and gorgeous vocal harmonies. But when the band decided to take an “open ended” break, she had little choice.

From the first chords of “River Girl” it’s apparent that Kelley isn’t trying to create a carbon copy of her former band. Sounding like a Country version of Aretha Franklin, she dives deeper into a style I can only call “Country Soul.” Blues guitar and Hammond organ punctuate her vocal phrasing to create a beautiful Nashville/Memphis synergy that’s reminiscent of Dusty Springfield’s seminal, “Dusty In Memphis” album.

In “River Girl,” Kelley sings, “I just want to sleep all day - rain on my roof. The river keeps rising, ain’t that the truth. It can wash me away, down to the sea - rolling and tumbling. So honey won’t you play a song for me.” Seeking comfort from circumstances beyond her control, the song and the EP are the perfect metaphor for her new found musical independence.

“Take Me Home,” again shows a woman longing to belong as Kelley sings, “Sing for me, quietly. Walk with me, slowly. Dance with me. Smile for me. Comfort me. Hold me. Somehow I ended up tattered and torn. Take me home.” Taken by itself, this song might be mistaken for a desperate pick up line. But in context, you can hear Kelley yearning for the comfort of her old bandmates and struggling with how to find a new “home” on her own.

In “Beautiful Accidents,” Kelley adds another layer of double meaning. Behind the story of accidental encounters that lead to happily ever afters, Kelley reveals her ability to make peace with her new found solo status as she sings, “Left turns and right turns get us here. All these beautiful accidents over the years, they look good on you.” (and on Kelley too!)

“You Used To Live Here” and “Blameless” continue the musical healing process for Kelley. And as a listener, you can’t help but marvel at the strength and courage of an artist to so openly face such a major life and career transition – and make such beautiful art from it all.

“Hotel Jackson” and “Dark Side Of Town,” reveal a new and transformed Kelly Mickwee - stronger and more confident. Putting the past behind her, she steps out (both musically and literally) unafraid to go after what she wants. And with this EP she succeeds.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment