Thursday, August 11, 2011

CMT's 20 Greatest Men puts Alan Jackson at top of the list


I always love watching these countdown type shows. Usually I like to argue over who gets in and who gets left out (I'll get to that later.) But CMT's 20 Greatest Men of the Last 20 Years was a wonderful stroll down memory lane. I loved hearing all the great songs from high school and remembering all those first kiss songs, and the songs that got me through the breakups and the just having a good time songs. It was also nice to hear some of today's country stars give their memories of these great singers and their songs. It was interesting to me that they just focused on the last 20 years of country music. This is the phase where more elements of pop and rock were introduced by the likes of Garth Brooks, Kenny Chesney, and Rascal Flatts. Not surprisingly, all three were ranked high on the CMT list. I was glad to see though, that the top two spots went to traditionalists George Strait and Alan Jackson (although I would have put George ahead of Alan.)
Now for the griping. ANY list that includes Johnny Cash should have Johnny Cash at number 1. That's just the way it is. Period. Also I missed a few of my faves from the list. I would have like to have seen Lyle Lovett (he's got that beautiful voice and quirky sense of humor), Josh Turner (Is there a sexier voice in country music?), and Dwight Yokam (listen to 1,000 Miles From Nowhere and tell me how he didn't make the list!)
Let me know who you think should have made the cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment