Friday, September 30, 2011

Steve Martin is a Wild & Crazy Bluegrass Award Winner!

I used to watch Steve Martin on old Saturday Night Live reruns when I was in high school and l remember thinking, "sure he's funny, but can he play bluegrass?" Not really, but I did wonder why his 2009 album, The Crow, didn't receive more attention in country music circles. I thought it was a great piece of authentic bluegrass revival. I especially loved the tender beauty of the song, "Pretty Flowers." Well, it seems I'm ahead of my time because Steve Martin, and his band The Steep Canyon Rangers, just won the International Bluegrass Music Association’s entertainer of the year award. Steve was honored last night at Nashville's own Ryman auditorium. With his trademark wit, Steve accepted the award saying, “First of all, I want to congratulate the other nominees, and thank them for losing.” Well let me congratulate and thank you Steve for winning and for helping to bring exposure to one of America's truest musical forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment